Monday, July 16, 2012

Las Vegas Summer 2012: Serendepity 3

Summer vacation calls for a trip to one of my favorite places in North America.. LAS VEGAS! For some reason, Vegas just reminds me quite a bit of home. The food (especially the buffets!), the weather (during summer time), the shopping and the hotels just brings me back to when I was still living in the Philippines. I just recently came back from Las Vegas and on our first day there, we decided to head straight to one of my favorite places on the Strip.. SERENDEPITY3! Located in between the Bellagio and Ceasars Palace, Serendepity 3 is a restaurant that is famous for their foot long hot dogs, sundaes and frozen hot chocolates. Founded by Stephen Spruce in 1954, Serendipity also holds the title for making the world's most expensive dessert in the Guinness World Records for their Golden Opulence Sunday that costs at $1000 per order! (Insane right?) 

By the time we got to our hotel, it was already pretty late because we were caught in line for about an hour just to get through immigrations at the new Terminal (which by the way just recently opened a week before we arrived) so by the time we got to the restaurant it was already around 8:30pm. If you guys haven't been to Serendepity3's Las Vegas branch, you would be surprised at how busy this place is! Practically every time I pass by the restaurant there are always people waiting in line to go in the restaurant or by their take out window. It doesn't really matter if you go on a weekday or weekend because you'll always see a line outside this place. When we went last year we ended up waiting around an hour and a half before we were given a table. This time however we ended up only waiting for 45 min which is a big improvement compared to our last trip, but it was still busy being that it was already 8:30pm when we arrived. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind waiting in line for 2 hours at this place because serendepity3 is actually one of my favorite restaurants in Vegas. If you don't want to wait as long for a table or maybe you want to order their food to go, they also have a very convenient take out window outside their restaurant that offers a simpler menu of their main menu. The wait time is shorter than waiting for a table but most of the time there's still a huge line up outside .. so be prepared to wait!

Every time we come here we would usually order their "All in Nachos" (my favorite!), "Crab Cake Salad", "Don't be afraid of my alfredo", "Mushroom burger" (it's a vegetarian burger), and their "A.B.C. burger". I've been wanting to try their foot long hot dogs for quite some time now because I always see a lot of people ordering it whenever I'm in town. Like last year, we ended up ordering quite a lot of food already so I didn't really get a chance to try it again this trip but hopefully on my next visit to Vegas, I'll get my chance to see why people like to order their foot long hot dogs so much. Another item that I (for some reason) am always excited about is their "All in Nachos"..  as simple as it is, the mushiness of the black beans with the crunchiness of the chips and melted cheese, along with the gummy taste of the meat just goes so well with the avocado, sour cream and salsa that it comes with. Every bite blends so well in texture and taste that it just makes me lose control of my eating habits! Honestly, I think this is one of the best tasting nachos that I've had and I could probably eat a whole order or two by myself because it is just that good! I'm not really sure if a lot of you guys prefer this kind of nachos but if you are in town, I would suggest to give their nachos a try.. you'll never know.. you guys might end up liking it as well!

And Of course (let's not forget!) a trip to Serendepity3 ALWAYS calls for their frozen hot chocolate for dessert! If your in any branch of Serendepity3, whether New York, Las Vegas or somewhere else.. you have to order their frozen hot chocolate. This is a must have item in every location! I promise you, your missing out on something special right here if you don't give yourself a chance to try it out! They have a number of frozen hot chocolates to choose from in their menu but usually we just settle for their regular sized original frozen hot chocolate or their strawberry frozen hot chocolate. For us, one order of their regular size is already good enough for 4 people to share but of course if you feel like indulging yourself in cold rich hot chocolate.. why not order one just for yourself ;p The summer weather in Las Vegas is pretty much burning hot especially in July and August. I think the highest temperature that we had to get through this trip was 48 degrees, and in the span of 7 days.. I was pretty much tanned without even trying to tan! That's why Serendepity3's frozen hot chocolate also comes in super duper handy in the summer for cooling off from the scorching heat! In my opinion, the taste of their frozen hot chocolate is quite similar to how a chocolate milk shake slushy would be but more enhanced and much better than your typical chocolate shake. What makes their drink more unique than others is that they have their very own blend of chocolate mix that they make and use for their frozen hot chocolate. They also give you the option of customizing your very own frozen hot chocolate with toppings such as strawberries sauce, peanuts, fresh berries, marshmallows, pb cups, candied almonds and etc for only a dollar each, which makes it even cooler because you get a chance to dress up your frozen hot chocolate just the way you like it.













I also really like going to Serendepity3 because it reminds me a lot of being in a malt shop. I remember reading a lot of Archie comics growing up and whenever they would go to Pop's shop, I would always wonder how it would look like when it's real. Serendepity3 is not really exactly the same as Pop's but it's more of like the fancier version of how a malt shop would be. If only they could open one up in Vancouver, this would probably be our new hang out place every weekend!

Frrrozen Hot Chocolate
All in Nachos
Steak Frites
Crab Cake Salad
Double Decker Grilled Cheese with a cup of Tomato Soup

If you guys are planning on going to Las Vegas, I would suggest you guys to put Serendepity3 on your must try places on your trip. I hope you'll get a chance to try out and like this place as much as I do and hopefully wait as shorter of a time as I did going into the restaurant because the lines just seem to get longer and longer every time I go.


Serendipity 3 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment